Thursday 3 January 2013

2012 in Review and Some New Years Resolutions

Happy New Year to one and all. 

It's been a while since my last post here and I'd love to say it's because I've been busy creating new and interesting stuff or that my personal life has been one hectic social engagement after another, but I can't.  So in the spirit of New Year I intend to make some changes round here, but first we need to review 2012.

Mayan CalendarThis Blog

Got 26,636 page views from 15,141 visits with the most popular content being:
  1. Fantastic Locations: Mega City One (1495pv)
  2. RPG Mapping Tools Part 1 - Dungeon Maps (1479pv)
  3. Links to Free RPG Stuff (1096pv)
  4. RPG Mapping Tools Part 2 - Battle Maps (1068)
  5. I'm a Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard (887pv)
  6. Minions: My OSR take on the One-Hit Wonder (841pv)
  7. A-Z of UK RPG in the 80s - D is for Dungeon Floors (725pv)
  8. RPG Mapping Tools Part 4 - Planet and Star Maps (725pv)
  9. Papercraft Gaming: Sci-Fi Vehicles and Terrain (639pv)
  10. A Fresh-ish look at Goblins (637pv)
In 2012 I wrote a total of 45 posts (which is pitiful really), and half that of 2011.  Some of this I put down to the shift in my viewing/posting habits from blogs to Google+, but to be honest I've just been so distracted.  New Years Resolution #1  is to go back to Writing at least 2 posts a week.

RGP Logo
Roleplay Geek Publishing 

I managed to publish only 1 additional product this year, bringing the catalogue to a total of 8 products.  In order of popularity these are:
Therefore New Years Resolution #2 is to get some of the things I've been working on out of the pending tray and into the catalogue.
 
Google+

Has become one of the most important sources of gamer news for me over the last 12 months and I see this continuing for the forseeable future.  The addition of communities has also seen an explosion of new contacts in the last few months and has resulted my eye being off the blogosphere.  New Years Resolution #3 is therefore to get my digital channels into some sort of order. 

Gaming Highlights

Fiasco
This years Dragonmeet was my only convention, and I've never seen it so busy.  I don't know if this marks a resurgence in interest in RPGs in the UK or as a reaction to the current economic slowdown, but you could barely move in the tradehalls.  It did give me the chance to play Fiasco for the first time and I absolutely loved it, rushing straight down to the trade hall to snap up my copy.  A big thanks to Fiasco's designer Jason Morningstar and the rest of the Google+ Fiasco community for making this my RPG of the year. 

I first saw Fiasco on Wil Wheaton's excellent boardgaming web TV show Tabletop which has become de rigueur viewing over the last 12 months.  If you like boardgames and haven't seen the show, you're missing out.  If there are any Game Publisher's listening, you need to help Wil and the Geek & Sundry Team to get this show renewed for another season.  I know it's responsible for me buying and recommending featured games as a result of watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment